June 23, 2009

Vienna, MO

In Vienna, I biked into the park to have a look around, see if I could camp there that night. There was a little league baseball game winding up, lots of families all around. I stepped into the bathrooms to see if there were any showers. No, but someone had told me they'd be open all night, so they'd do. As I was coming out of the bathroom, a little boy, surely no more than 6 years old, was going in. He took a long serious look at me and then followed me directly out. I swung my leg over my bicycle and stared back at him. "You riding your bike?" he asked me. I said yep. Across the country. He stared at me, very business-like. "To see things?" I nodded. "Do you like it?" I somehow felt like I was getting interviewed. I said I liked it. Sometimes it was hard. But overall I liked it a lot. "Where do you sleep?" I said I stayed in city parks, like this one. And sometimes in cemeteries, I told him, which was a lie. I've been wanting to stay in a quiet little cemetery, but haven't yet. I just wanted to see if this little interviewer was actually a kid. "Cemeteries?" he said and raised both of his eyebrows for a second. Then he walked into the bathroom like he was done with me. Transaction over.

2 comments:

  1. I love how kids can sum up an experience in a few simple sentences.

    Glad to hear your trip is full of interesting characters!

    -Kristin C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a swarmy movie with a cute kid in it, but its real life :)

    ReplyDelete