May 13, 2009

Christmas!

I got several boxes in the mail today, and oh my goodness, it felt like Christmas.

John sent me his super lightweight Primus stove. It's about the size of a roll of scotch tape. It almost looks like it lights itself. I tried to get it to set up my tent.

Dad sent me 1) his sunglasses. They've got 4 different lens sets. The dark ones are for arc-welding, the clear ones are for riding way past curfew, which I hope to do very little of, the in-between ones are for precisely 5-6pm, and the yellow ones match my socks. 2) A new pocket knife. This is better than any I've ever owned. It has a pair of pliers which makes redundant multiple bike tools. 3) Small band aids, triple antibiotic ointment, large band aids. 4) Pot and pan. And eating utensils. 5) A reflector to put around my ankle. 6) A nice Capilene shirt for layering. 7) A couple tubes. (Like I'm going to get any flats, Dad!) 8) A squeezy bottle to put olive oil or honey or hard liquor into. 9) A pair of enormous camouflage clogs, which should be self-explanatory.

Ron sent me 1) his rain gear: a pair of gore-tex pants and a jacket, in a smooth azure color, which I'm afraid I won't be able to wear with the yellow lens set. 2) Another reflector to put around my ankle. 3) Some wind-proof fleece mittens. The mitten part folds down for better dexterity if I want to change my lens set. 4) A small Petzl headlamp. The very same kind that I had packed.

Greg sent me 1) several water bottles. They've got his name on them. Let's hope the police don't get nosy. 2) A set of Jandd panniers! These are great. They're the first set of panniers I ever used. Greg lent them to me along with a rear rack last fall just to try out. They're red Cordura Nylon like my home-made ones but almost certainly better engineered. 3) A bevy of really nice riding shorts and jerseys. They're all from a stash of official USA Cycling gear, so I'm going to feel very out of my league, and I'm going to look like Captain America.

Andrew sent me some essential tools.

Jacob & Kim sent me some money.

Mom & Grandmommy sent me some books to start with.

Whether donated or lent, each piece of gear is going to remind me of some of you as I use it or spend it or wear it or read it. Thanks so much.

I'll begin pedaling Friday.

1 comment:

  1. I finally got on your blog. I am recovering from a very long 10 days but finally feel semi-normal. I love reading your posts! So Brett! I know you'll be heading out tomorrow. My prayers and thoughts will be with you the whole way - trust me, you'll feel me and all of us praying for you. I love you, brother. Melanie

    ReplyDelete