February 2, 2009

Long Ride II

I rode up to Woodland Park today. It's a long climb: about two hours up, one hour down. It was about 45 degrees F when I left my house, and the sky seemed to be clearing: nice riding weather. Still, I knew it was going to be a lot colder at 8500ft. I stuffed my windbreaker, some mittens, and a beanie in my back pocket. Also a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a snickers bar.

Ute pass is about 5 miles outside of Manitou Springs; it's a narrow, cliff-edged gorge for about two miles. It's one of the few passes for 10s of miles along the front range, so if the conditions are right, it can be really windy. The conditions were right, and I had a fairly strong headwind. The remaining 10 miles from the pass were cold. I was looking forward to the descent, with a tailwind and incrementally warmer air. Indeed, I did have a bit of a tailwind for the major part of the descent. But through the pass, the wind seemed to have reveresed itself. I was having to pedal downhill. That was frustrating. Then as the pass opened back up into last part of my ride, the air seemed colder. I mean really cold. Mostly, this was because I wasn't working as hard descending as I was ascending, but also some cooler weather had blown in while I was climbing. I was really frustrated then. The last 30 minutes was a haul with my head into the wind and my toes and fingers numbing.

Some rides are like that. At one point coming down through the pass, I was yelling to get warm, or just to get my frustration out. It seemed like the weather fought me at every point. But then, I rarely notice when the weather is helping me: when there's a soft tailwind, or a pleasant change of temperature for the better. It's kind of nice, on the one hand, to have conditions that adjust to me. But on the other hand, it's better to ride through an untamed atmosphere. Makes me feel smaller and stronger at the same time.

2 comments:

  1. How I have missed you, my friend. I just caught up on all your blogs and am loving it. Can't wait to read more... Ride (and write) on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Embrace the Untamed. Yep, that sounds like you. I read your posts with great joy and trepidation. I am thrilled, envigorated, even a bit envious at your “Reasons” and slightly terrified after reading your “Long Ride II.” I picture you in a blizzard near Mt Rainier, losing a few digits and perhaps the tip of an ear. You truly could realize your goal of becoming stronger and smaller!

    All a mother can do is raise my cup of spiced tea to your great adventure, while sitting in a den that has kindly adjusted to my favorite temp. But I do remember that my favorite days at Wintergreen include working early mornings in brutal winds, then watching the sun slowly warm up the coldest places. And my happiest memories involve family in some risky business of climbing something we thought we could not. “Danger is the spur of all great minds.” I Love you son, Momma Jo

    ReplyDelete